Posted: December 15th, 2008
Following the release of First Rays Of The New Rising Sun, the Hendrix estate knew that they had to do something different on the follow up. First Rays was the completion of Jimi’s music up until the time of his death, the final songs that would have been on his next album. Janie, Eddie, John McDermott knew that now was the time to bring forward a new offering for long time Hendrix fans–unreleased music. Thus was born South Saturn Delta. Made up of tracks originally found on the long deleted War Heroes, Loose Ends, Rainbow Bridge, as well as some that had appeared on Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning (original tracks were used though, not the Alan Douglas tampered ones). Plus some unreleased songs, studio ideas, etc. Some really good music, “Pali Gap” from Rainbow Bridge is a great late night tune; “Drifter’s Escape,” the Bob Dylan song is a great rocker.
South Saturn Delta hints at a jazz direction for Jimi. “Little Wing,” is actually an early version of “Angel.” As far as “Look Over Yonder” goes, I still prefer the version on the Live & Unreleased CD. “Midnight Lightning,” the closing track, is just Jimi and his guitar, playing the blues, just the way you know it should be. A fitting conclusion to this CD.
Folks, the Hendrix family is listening to us, the fans. It’s been a long time since anybody has. God bless them.
- Jimi Hendrix – Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Vocals (bckgr), Multi Instruments, Producer, Mixing
- Dave Mason – Guitar (12 String)
- Buddy Miles – Percussion, Drums, Vocals (bckgr)
- Larry Lee – Guitar (Rhythm)
- Noel Redding – Bass, Vocals (bckgr)
- Brian Jones – Percussion
- Billy Cox – Bass, Vocals (bckgr)
- Larry Fallon – Horn Arrangements
- Eddie Kramer – Producer, Engineer, Remixing, Mixing, Photography, Compilation Producer, Remastering
- Mitch Mitchell – Drums, Vocals (bckgr), Producer
- Brian Jones – Percussion
- Juma Sultan – Percussion
- Jerry Velex – Percussion
- Look over Yonder (Hendrix) – 3:25
- Little Wing (Hendrix) – 2:44
- Here He Comes (Lover Man) (Hendrix) – 6:33
- South Saturn Delta (Hendrix) – 4:07
- Power of Soul (Hendrix) – 5:20
- Message to the Universe (Message to Love) (Hendrix) – 6:18
- Tax Free (Carlsson/Hansson) – 4:56
- All Along the Watchtower (Dylan) – 4:01
- The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam’s… (Hendrix) – 4:21
- Midnight (Hendrix) – 5:32
- Sweet Angel (Angel) (Hendrix) – 3:55
- Bleeding Heart (Hendrix) – 3:15
- Pali Gap (Hendrix) – 5:08
- Drifter’s Escape (Dylan) – 3:05
- Midnight Lightning (Hendrix) – 3:07
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.